Work that aligns with your values also drives satisfaction. Consider:
- Is it important that you believe in the mission of an organization?
- How important is work-life balance?
- Where do you want to live?
- Do you want flexible work hours?
- How long of a distance are you willing to commute?
Job satisfaction and success is closely linked to being interested in what you do. With an eye on future fulfillment, consider accomplishments, tasks or projects at which you excelled and which created a sense of pride and satisfaction.
- What have you received praise or recognition for in the past?
- Do you enjoy activities that relate to people, things or data?
- What do you find most fulfilling and enjoyable?
Personality traits play a major role in job satisfaction and success, and being the right “fit” involves numerous factors. Personality inventories and assessments offer insight into how your personality compares to others and how you prefer to work.
- Do you prefer to lead or follow?
- Do you prefer to work as part of a team or alone?
- Do you prefer a regular routine or an ever-changing schedule?
Review your accomplishments to uncover skills critical to your success. Then think about how they connect to a potential career. This will help you understand what to market in your search.
- What are your key abilities, talents and strengths?
- What are the technical skills invaluable in your target fields?
- Do you prefer to communicate in writing or verbally?
- Do you enjoy analyzing complex issues, problems or data?
- Do you enjoy creative activities and artistic endeavors?